Tuesday 20 November 2012

Somebody Save Me from the Terrible 2's



What a week... The Bubble is really showing me what the Terrible 2's is 24/7. Screaming, biting, hitting, drawing on walls, yelling at me, not sleeping Gahhhhhhh someone help me!! 

My dear friend Miss. Angie has truly been a godsend over the past few weeks offering me advice and letting me know that most children go through this and if people tell you otherwise they really are full of s**t! Without her I would probably be banging my head into a wall- literally!! I hope that in turn my advice I give me in her weight loss and fitness journey are as helpful as the advice she gives me. 



It is time to try some new techniques. I am not one of those Mums who is going to sit back and think 'they'll grow out of it' or 'oh there's nothing wrong'. I like to be proactive and fix the issue at hand. She may be going through a stage (fingers crossed) but it does not mean I will not go through every single option and tecnhique that can help. If I help the situation it makes happier toddler, happier Mummy an happier Daddy. 

So in saying that I have gotten on the Supernanny bandwagon (thanks again to Miss Angie) and have invested in a naughty spot and that seems to be working more and more everyday. I have also made an appointment with The Bubbles kindy teachers so we can sit down and do an Action Plan in regards to her biting that seems to be happening on a very regular basis- this action plans aim is to use it at kindy, home and gym creche so we are all using the same techniques, language when talking through incidents with her and what we are hoping to achieve. I have also made a time to go and see Child Health clinic to get advice from a child nurse about the best ways to discipline and prevent this behaviour as much as possible. 

I know some people could read this and think all this is extreme but I think it is important to try and teach your children the right ways to behave and how they can show their frustration and anger through other ways rather than biting, hitting, screaming and all over meltdowns. 

I have a feeling a lot of The Bubbles issues come from her lack of complete language development at this stage. Her vocabulary is increasing every day but when she gets upset, frustrated even excited all her words turn into jibberish and she becomes so much more frustrated because in her mind she seems to know what she is saying. She is a very emotional little girl- always been quite intelligent and I am hoping that once her speech catches up to her mind she will calm down a lot.

In the meantime I am doing everything I can to avoid these meltdowns- today we went to Sea World and she was so well behaved. This also made me realise that some of this behaviour could be boredom. Since toilet training we have not ventured out as much as we normally would and perhaps she is getting bored so now that I have a great routine set up at home and my mother in law now lives only 25 minutes away that I will try to have one whole day a week that we do something together while the MIL watches BB2. 


So I may be frustrated, crying, yelling and hardly sleeping at the end of the day I know we will get through this and in the meantime all my friends can deal with my messages and phone calls so I can keep my sanity and the gym can continue to be my outlet for frustration.  

I am not wanting a perfect toddler- that would just be boring! I just want a toddler that does not use shrilling screams and rip apart their rooms for attention or as a way of trying to vent. Oh and if she could keep napping during the day and not be up at the crack of dawn that would be nice too. 

Andrea x 


No comments:

Post a Comment